Sunday, August 17, 2008

Grandpa Higgi

I am starting my Practicing teaching this semester. In my classroom, I hung up pictures of my grandpa, my aunt, and my great grandma. I did this because I am the fourth generation in my family to work at the public school.

This is a picture of my great-grandma Bowen with me as a baby. I found these pictures at my grandma's house and had to scan them in!! Grandma Bowen (my grandpa Higgi's mom) was the first to move to my home town in my family. She moved her family so that she could teach school at the public school.

I think she is so beautiful. This is one of her school pictures from when she taught school in Tucson. This is my Grandpa Higgi. When I was in fourth and fifth grade he had already retired from teaching school. He could't give up being with the kids, so when they were waiting for their mission call, he worked as the playground aid!!

This is is fifth grade class. I though this picture was awesome. I think this is the graduating class of 1999, but I'm not sure. That is definetly a Haymore in the front row though.If any of you new my grandpa he loved to catch animals. This picture of him holding a skunk was taken infront of the school. A girl came in and reported that there was a skunk in the girls bathroom, so grandpa got up and went to remove it from the bathroom. He did, but he also got sprayed. Needless to say he did not go home to take a tomatoe bath right after he got sprayed, but he continued teaching the remainder of the day smelling like skunk. That was one of his favorite stories he told me!! My grandpa loved the outdoors. I thought these two pictures were neat of him skinning his deer. I wish I could have invited him to come hunting with me! This is one of my favorite pictures. My grandpa is the one with his shirt off. This is him and his buddies after they had all killed a deer!! I want to blow this up and put it in my house!!

6 comments:

Kara said...

Hey Leah-Peeya! I didn't even know you had a blog...thanks a lot. :'( j/k Anyway, I'm glad you got suckered in too! So is that Haymore of the 1999 graduating class Garrick? Did he teach in SV? Cuz Garrick graduated 99... weird...

Anonymous said...

Leah, I loved your Grandpa Higgi, he will always be my very favorite teacher! Thank you for posting pictures of him. He's one of a kind! And Brendl was my first thought when I saw the picture of his class! That is funny!

The Gooding Family said...

So YOU'RE the new PE teacher...my kids came home from school and told me about their day (this particular day they had PE) and I couldn't figure out who Mrs. Haymore was! I am excited for you. Are you still living in Sierra Vista?

Also, I had to comment on your Grandpa. I had him for 4th and 5th grade~ I LOVED him! I was "teachers pet" so he must have liked me a little, too. I have so many fond memories of him...vitamin c tablets from Mexico, his toothbrush in his shirt pocket, his eyebrows and smile, spelling tests and making up funny sentances with our names in them, math quizes (races) on the chalkboard, flag football and on and on...he was truly a legend!

Heather K said...

Leah what a cool tribute to Teachers in our family.....you are just missing the generation of Ron,Holly, Jenny, and Amy too I guess. I am excited for you teaching in SD! HOW FUN to be close to the kiddos growing up!

RaCHELLE HuRD said...

fun post lee lee! i loved seeing all those pictures that i haven't seen in forever. love ya!

Ashley Jones said...

Leah! Those pictures are so cool! I only got to know Grandpa Higgi for a little while but I love him, he always made me feel so welcome and loved, like I was always one of his grandkids! Congratulations on teaching in SD, You will be a great teacher!